OLD EAST STONEHOUSE
Webpage created: May 03, 2020
Webpage updated: May 03, 2020
|OLD EAST STONEHOUSE.UK|
HOME FOR THE AGED AND INFIRM
The Home for the Aged and Infirm was located in Saint Mary Street, East Stonehouse, and was run by the Little Sisters of the Poor.
Its object was to provide homes and clothing for aged or infirm poor people and to provide with them with food. Both sexes were accepted into the Home.
The Home was built on the site of the Roman Catholic Church of Saint Mary the Blessed Virgin at a cost of £1,500 and was opened in 1865.
A new, modern building was opened at Hartley in 1885 as the Saint Joseph's House of the Little Sisters of the Poor.