OLD EAST STONEHOUSE
Webpage created: August 21, 2019
Webpage updated: November 15, 2019
|OLD EAST STONEHOUSE.UK|
MIDLAND BANK LIMITED, EAST STONEHOUSE BRANCH
The history of the Midland Bank goes back to 1836, when Mr Charles Geach, an official at the Bank of England's branch in Birmingham, formed the Birmingham and Midland Bank.
By 1890 it had 45 branches and the following year moved it's head office to London.
The company became the Midland Bank Limited in 1923.
The Stonehouse Branch, at number 68 Union Street, was opened on Monday November 3rd 1930. It was under the supervision of Mr Percival Scutt, the manager of the main Plymouth Branch in Bedford Street. Opening hours were 10am until 3pm on Mondays to Fridays and 9am until Noon on Saturdays. Night safe facilities were available.
When the main Plymouth Branch was destroyed by bombing in March 1941, all business was transferred to the East Stonehouse Branch until it, too, was bombed in August 1943. Nobody was killed or injured. A temporary branch was opened at number 68 Union Street, across Phoenix Street from the New Palace Theatre of Varieties, just within the East Stonehouse boundary. Mr F Barrclough was the manager in 1953.
In October 1972 the Midland Bank introduced "Access", its cheque guarantee and credit card.
The Midland Bank was taken over in 1992 by the HongKong-Shanghai Banking Corporation, thus becoming just a set of meaningless initials - HSBC.
It is not recorded when the East Stonehouse Branch closed.
|With acknowledgement to the HSBC Archives in London for their very efficient assistance.|