Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: August 25, 2019
Webpage updated: August 25, 2019




A branch of the Naval Bank, which had been founded in 1774 and had its headquarters in Plymouth, was opened at 18 and 19 Edgcumbe Street, East Stonehouse, in August 1883.

The premises were designed for the Bank by local architect, Mr H J Snell and erected by Mr Jonathan Marshall.  The frontage of the first storey was  built entirely of Portland stone, with elaborately carved stone work over the windows.  The arch over the main entrance had a keystone representing the prow of a ship and other stones had cravings representing commerce and agriculture.  Mr Fouracre of East Stonehouse was responsible for the plate glass window over the doorway, engraved with a ship.  The remainder of the frontage was finished in brick with cement dressings and the carvings over the three windows on the first floor represented the coats-of-arms of Plymouth, Devonport and East Stonehouse.  The  sculpture work had been undertaken by Mr Trevenen, of Plymouth.

Entrance to the banking hall was through a porch covered with an 'encaustic tile floor'.  On the walls, below the cornice and above the frieze work, were carvings of figures symbolic of the various branches of coining and testing money, alternating with Naval symbols like anchors and coils of rope.  Behind the banking hall was the manager's office, equipped with telephonic communication to the headquarters in Plymouth, and a fireproof strong room.  The manager's living  quarters were on the upper floors.

By the start of the Great War the partnership behind the Bank was Messrs Harris, Bulteel and Company although the actual, named partners were Mr Frederick Thomas Bulteel and Mr Mackworth Parker.  The financial pressures brought about by the declaration of War caused the Bank to stop payments at close of business on Saturday August 22nd 1914.

Lloyd's Bank Limited were quick off the mark and announced to all the customers of the Naval Bank that: 'We shall be happy to make immediate advances, without interest, to credit customers of the firm up to five shillings in the in respect of their balances, and to give all possible consideration to applications from customers who desire that facilities for over-drawn accounts should be continued.'

The first manager of the East Stonehouse Branch was  Mr T Hele.