OLD EAST STONEHOUSE
Webpage created: August 19, 2019
Webpage updated: August 20, 2019
|OLD EAST STONEHOUSE.UK|
Winter Villa, the former residence of the Mount Edgcumbe family at the end of Durnford Street, was acquired in 1931 by the Roman Catholic Sisters of Nazareth, who converted the property to provide a new female orphanage in replacement of the Roman Catholic Convent and Orphanage of Saint Teresa in Plymouth.
It was opened on November 30th 1931, when the orphans were transferred from Saint Teresa's.
|With acknowledgement to Mrs Vera Lawson BEM, formerly Miss Vera Clancy, who was one of the orphans who were transferred.|