OLD EAST STONEHOUSE . UK
www.oldeaststonehouse.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: April 18, 2021
Webpage updated: April 18, 2021

 
OLD EAST STONEHOUSE.UK
 

ROADS AND STREETS IN OLD EAST STONEHOUSE

CHAPEL STREET

Chapel Street, East Stonehouse, used to run from Edgcumbe Street southwards to Emma Place, with numbers 1 to 26 on the eastern side and numbers 27 to 43 running back on the western side.  It has now been subsumed in Durnford Street.

At the bottom end of Chapel Street was the former Anchor Brewery,
pictured here under Plymouth Breweries Limited in 1956.
The picture was taken from Edgcumbe Street.  Stonehouse Bridge is on the right.
City of Plymouth Museum and Art Gallery.

There were many notable buildings in Chapel Street, including the Plymouth Breweries Limited headquarters; the Regent Inn; the Red Lion Public House; the Anglican Church of Saint George of Lydda, Martyr; the mineral water manufactory of Plymouth Breweries Limited (the former Anchor Brewery building) and the Prince George Public House, which was part of the latter.

In pre-war days there was a grocery branch of the Plymouth Co-operative Society at number 19.

Stonehouse Quay was off Chapel Street just beyond Newport Street.  Messrs Vick Brothers had their ship breaking yard there.