OLD EAST STONEHOUSE . UK
www.oldeaststonehouse.uk
 

  Brian Moseley, Plymouth
Webpage created: April 19, 2021
Webpage updated: April 19, 2021

 
OLD EAST STONEHOUSE.UK
 

ROADS AND STREETS IN OLD EAST STONEHOUSE

EAST STREET

East Street, East Stonehouse, ran from Saint Mary Street eastwards to the boundary with Plymouth in Phoenix Street.

Among the prominent buildings in East Street were: The Lord High Admiral Public House; the Battery Inn; the East Street Bible Christian Chapel; the East Street Board School, later the East Street County Elementary School (which also comes under George Place).  Opposite the Bible Christian Chapel, on the north side of the Street, was the Methodist Sunday School, alongside of which were the Wesleyan Cottages pictured below.

Accessed through an archway from East Street, on the left, were the Wesleyan Cottages, pictured here in 1956.
City of Plymouth Museum and Art Gallery.

The principle business in East Street was the motor engineering works of Messrs R J Ellis and Son at the eastern end of the north side.  Opposite the Works was the only shop in the Street, which belonged in 1951 to Mr William C Carveille.