OLD EAST STONEHOUSE
Webpage created: April 05, 2021
Webpage updated: April 05, 2021
|OLD EAST STONEHOUSE.UK|
SAINT PAUL'S CHURCH OF ENGLAND ELEMENTARY SCHOOL*
By the Education Act 1902 the management of Saint Paul's National School was transferred from the National Society for the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church to the new Devon County Local Education Authority, which was actually the Education Committee of Devon County Council. Saint Paul's Church of England Elementary School* had accommodation for 269 junior mixed pupils.
In 1914 Mrs Annie Herlihy was the mistress. The average attendance at that time 163 children. The management board's correspondent was the Reverend A E Bond, of Durnford Street.
On and as from November 9th 1914, when East Stonehouse was amalgamated with Plymouth, the School came under the management of the Plymouth Local Education Authority.
The Education Act 1918 raised the school-leaving age to the fourteenth birthday.
In 1937, when the School took infants only, Miss M Cove was the head mistress.
The Education Act 1944 raised the school leaving age to the fifteenth birthday as from Tuesday April 1st 1947 and created Primary schools for the 5 to 11 years olds and Secondary Modern, Grammar and Technical Schools.
* There is some doubt as to the actual titles
carried by the former National Schools after they were transferred to State
Many were still known as "National Schools" in their locality.
The title used for this School has been assumed on the basis of what happened to former Board Schools.