OLD EAST STONEHOUSE
Webpage created: July 21, 2019
Webpage updated: July 21, 2019
|OLD EAST STONEHOUSE.UK|
THREE TOWNS' SOLDIERS' INSTITUTE
The Three Towns Soldiers' Institute started in small premises in Union Street circa 1870. In 1874 it was decided to put the project into the hands of a Miss Daniel. As a result of her leadership, a site was obtained at 21 Edgcumbe Street, East Stonehouse, upon which the Institute opened their own building in July 1877.
There was a bar at the entrance at which temperance drinks and light refreshments could be obtained, as well as rooms for reading, billiards, and bagatelle. A bath room and kitchen were also provided.
By 1935 the premises had been joined with Numbers 19 and 20 and become the Edgcumbe Social Club, owned by Mr W C Coath.